Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why I don't hate my iPhone 5

iPhone 5
I'm not a Mac guy really, Scottish surname notwithstanding. I do use a MacBook Pro in my music studio and, at work, I have an iPad for testing web stuff. Still most of what I do is on my Dell Optiplex desktop, and I've used an Android phone since they were invented. However, lately we've been feeling that someone on our web team should have an iPhone and I volunteered - hesitantly.

Truthfully, I don't love my Android phone.  It's okay.  Samsung Galaxy II was a good choice of phones, and it has done the job.  Not a great job, however. Here's a report card:

  • Battery life: A
  • Customization: B
  • Calendaring: B minus
  • Contacts management: B minus
  • Navigating: C
  • Sprint coverage (semi-rural):  C
  • Voice recognition:  C minus
  • Online meetings: D

So what could I lose?  Well a few things.

1. Widgets - Apple, my new AT&T rep reminded me, does not have widgets.  It has apps.  No more large digit clocks or custom weather displays at a glance.  Find the app and open it. Boo.

2. Battery life is not what I had hoped.  I can't get past 2 pm without a low battery message. Will definitely need that overpriced extra charger.

3. Swype - I really was getting pretty good at swyping, although there were some frustrating issues.  Still I miss it. Swype for iPhone is a victim of the lawsuit wars I'm told.

4. Responsiveness - the Gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch resistant, but sometimes apps don't respond to touch even when touched several times. Is it my imagination or is it always the right side of the screen that's unresponsive?

So why don't I hate my iPhone 5?

1. Keyboard is really pretty good. The "M" key is too close to backspace. Yes, it's a problem.  Otherwise decent.

2. Smaller "hand-print" - my thumb can reach everything on the screen, so great for one-handed use.  I promise not to use it while driving... hardly ever.

3. Siri does recognize my voice quite well, even in the car (excellent noise cancellation), and will even dial my wife by her name. Setting appointments and reminders is effortless.

And best of all...

4. Online meetings - Today I had to do an online meeting by phone.  I was anticipating the usual hassle of having to try to switch between screens to enter the 37 digit meeting ID.  But something magic happened. After calling the number, my iPhone dialed the meeting ID right on cue!  Obi wan has taught you well!

That was a bonding moment to be sure.  Not a love affair, mind you.

But I can say truthfully, I don't hate my iPhone 5.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your phone knows me by name; if you ever develop dementia that might come in handy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, who are you? Wait, never mind, Dear. It's coming back to me now. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a "G" rated site - family appropriate comments only please. Violators will be reported to Mother.