Monday, April 8, 2013

iPhone 5 Charger - Cable Design

After forgetting my iPhone charger at work last weekend, then forgetting it at home twice this week, I decided to look for some solution on the shelves of local stores.  Alas there are none.   Online, or at the Apple store, if am willing to pay $17-$24 for a two foot cable, I can get another charging cable made by Apple.

Now I will say that Apple knows how to make a decent charging cable, problems with the MacBook Pro cables notwithstanding.  They follow some of the rules of good cable design that are ignored by most manufacturers:
  • No upside down - it plugs in either way.
  • Not easily tangled
  • Durable
However they ignore others:

  • No "fishhook" ends that catch on other cables when trying to pull the cord from a pile.
  • Sufficiently long as to allow some flexibility in choosing a location to charge (true for MacBook Pro, but not the other devices)
  • Extendible - patch two together to make it longer



1 comment:

  1. Since I posted this, my wife found me an excellent charger online for around $9. The cord is long enough to plug into the wall and set it on the coffee table or use it on the couch while charging. Bless her. :)

    ReplyDelete

This is a "G" rated site - family appropriate comments only please. Violators will be reported to Mother.